Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hurricane Arthur


 
I am truly going to make an effort to keep up with my blogues this trip. I may even have time to write up some of my previous adventures, but let us start with the beginning of this one. It’s Thorsday; I’m packed and off to Capt. Patt’s in SF. The traffic is terrible leaving town, but fortunately I’m the reverse commute although I’m heading downtown, and it’s the bottom of the sixth and the Giants are losing. I find a parking space at 3rd & Bryant and head to DarTeaLing for afternoon tea with my friend Jerry. It compares quite favorably to Lovejoy’s and we enjoyed it very much. I dropped Jerry off at his place and then off to Patt’s for a bon voyage spaghetti dinner with Jack & Pasha. The food and company were fine and fun and since I was lending my car to Patt while I’m away, he drove me to the airport. Little did I know this was just the start of my misadventures! My suitcase is not overweight, but the lady at the counter tells me that my 10 pm plane has not even left the ground from Logan airport due to the hurricane, and they are not expecting it till 3 or 4 in the morning. Aaaaahhhhhh! What am I going to do for the next 6+ hours?
          Fortunately, they were able to re-route me through Ft. Lauderdale, but I was assigned a middle seat (only one left on the plane). The couple who boarded were just as surprised to see me since they thought they’d have the whole row to themselves. They very graciously asked if I’d like to move to the window or the aisle so they could sit together? I joyously complied, and I arrived in DC only 3 hours later than planned. It was just as well, however, because when I arrived at the hotel, they weren’t sure my room was ready. The kid at the desk was so nice; he went up to check on it, and returned with the good news that it was. I have never seen the place so crowded, and he told me they were fully booked through Monday. I’ve stayed at this hotel for over 20 years and they gave me the best room ever! It was a huge 1 bedroom suite on the top floor with a view of the Potomac. A little thing like a hurricane couldn’t stop me enjoying a Capitol Fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment