Sunday, October 6, 2019

reunion at last


2019 marks my 50th school reunions. I attended two different secondary schools, so my first reunion was in September, and my next one is Oct. 18-20. In between, I'm off to Europe for a month.

I flew to Dayton on 9/10 and stayed with my sister, who also attended Walnut Hills, in Dayton for a week, and on Friday the 13th we went to Cincinnati, and listened to the school's 80 piece chamber orchestra, and there were about 80 of us. Afterwards, we had after school snacks! After that, we checked into our hotel, and got ready for the bar party at the Banks down by the Riverfront. After we parked, we walked across the street toward the river, and watched a lovely sunset, swung on the swings, and hung out with the Reds mascot:

Cathy tired early, but I stayed another two hours, and had a ride back to the hotel with two fellow alums who were staying at the same hotel.

On Saturday, we went back to school for a very good pancake breakfast, which was followed by a tour of the school.

Walnut Hills High - Sursum ad Summum
Yes, it's five times the size of Monticello! When I attended, there were around 2000 students.
There are now 3000 students, and 6000 on the waiting list!
Cathy and I skipped that, and instead went to Burlington, KY to have lunch at the Tousey [one of my all-time favorite eateries] House.

Although I had my 30th reunion shirt, I really liked our new one, and wore it to lunch.

After that, I really wanted to see the poster exhibit at the Taft Museum. We were both surprised how much the place has expanded, and how beautiful it was.
One of my favorites.

This is one of the original printings on silk!
Saturday night was the big dinner and party at Memorial Hall. Leeds gave both of us a ride to it from the hotel, and at the event, I ran into Camille Bush, who used to sit in front of me in home room. She joined us at our table along with a grade school friend of mine, Chris Dux. Dinner was a buffet, and then they chose 8 of us for a trivia contest, and Leeds, Bernie [another grade school friend of mine], and I were chosen as contestants. I was chosen because I'd been a member of the Latin Club! They had a fabulous 60's band, and a great Motown band, and lots of Graeter's ice cream and other goodies for dessert. The dinner was over around 11, and there was an after-party that was supposed to run till 2 am, but the three of us skipped that, and went back to the hotel.

On Sunday, we woke up early, checked out, and ran around like crazy buying Skyline chili dogs, White Castle burgers, and a 6 pack of Graeter's ice cream for our 60's Clifton reunion party from noon - 4 pm. We were ecstatic with the turnout of 30-40 people. Others brought Hitchin' Post chicken with all the sides, and lemonade. We also had Schoenling Little King ale.

Mount Storm Park in Clifton


My sister Cathy, Dan, & Bernie [we used to play Monopoly in grade school].
At both reunions we decided 10 years is too long to wait, and plan to meet again in 2024!

Off to a good start. Will try to keep up with myself.




1 comment:

  1. Thats great!

    Mind blowing article really your this post is very informative and give a proper information about travels.

    Thanks..

    Marble coffee table top

    ReplyDelete