Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Day 3 in Oslo


Tuesday
8/8
Watching the most lovely sunset after another exhausting day of seeing everything in Oslo. Around 7 am, Daniel and Dylan came downstairs for coffee and breakfast, and I joined them for eggs and toast. After they returned from their runs, we were off to a late start to the Munch museum and saw everything but the ‘Scream.’
scream.jpg
Had coffee and munchies; next to the site of the Oya Fest. Took the subway to sentrum [city center] and then visited the national museum and saw the ‘Scream’ there and many other artworks.
munch museum.jpg
[Max & Dylan at Munch Museum]
national museum.jpg
After that, Kim wanted to go to some museum that was a 10 minute walk away, but I asked if we could stop first at the Natural History Museum which was the building behind the one we were in. We were pleasantly surprised to find out it was the National Historic Museum instead, and the first floor was full of Viking loots and crafts.
sigurd door.jpg
[Sigurd door & Swains at Sigurd doors]
swains at the door.jpg
We were enthralled by all we saw and were so overwhelmed we didn’t even go upstairs to look at the Egyptian floor.
runestone.jpg
another stone.jpg

Had a lovely Italian interlude at the Baltazar Cafe in the courtyard of a Gothic church.
baltazar.jpg
Headed back and stopped at the sculpture park above our digs. It was absolutely lovely and charming and we knew we were NOT in the USA when we viewed Dali’s bronze of “Woman with Drawers” and the drawers would open and close.
dali's drawers.jpg
This is in a public park, and anyone can open and close the drawers, and it hasn’t been tagged, broken, defaced, or stolen. Sadly, it wouldn’t last a month in almost any US city.
I ambled back down the hill leaving Dan & Kim to commune with art. As I walked down the narrow sidewalk a bicyclist would huff by every 10-30 seconds. I thought I heard one behind me, but it was a 70 year old man ambling down hill. He’d brought an umbrella along, just in case. We struck up a conversation and had a pleasant stroll down hill stopping frequently for cyclists and the views. I felt like a teenager when he left me at my door. I also felt that I was in a different aeon. I don’t stroll down hill with perfect strangers very often.
Then there was the longest, nicest sunset; almost like the ones you see on an airplane flying west. The sky prinked nicely, and the colors lasted so long - close to two hours - that I could have painted it!

Still last lights of sunset at 10:30 pm. Took a bath at first light thinking it was 5 or 6 am; it was 3 am! Just the perfect time to be in Oslo and we’re having delightful weather. Supposed to be 55-80 in Lithuania next week. More lovely weather.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how to fix this so you can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, someone said they knew how to fix this, but I'll try changing the theme.

    ReplyDelete